Chunk of the Coignet Building

IMG_7781.jpg

Delivered by:On Loan from the Hall of Gowanus, Feb. 17, 2018

Material: Cast Concrete

Dimensions: 

Year: 1873

Location discovered: Coignet Building

History: This chunk is from the stair balustrade on the 3rd Ave side of the Coignet Building. The Coignet Building was the first cast concrete building in the US. It was built as the headquarters and showroom of the Coignet Stone Company, the first US company to manufacture cast concrete known as artificial stone.  The building was long abandoned on the corner of an empty lot on 3rd and 3rd Avenue. Recently, Whole Food took over the lot and built around the building and also renovated it to look as it originally did. The building is currently for sale. We think it would make a great location for a museum about Gowanus. 

 

A note on the Hall of Gowanus:

The Hall of Gowanus is a community-curated archive of Gowanus artifacts that was founded by Proteus Gowanus Interdisciplinary Gallery in 2007. Now under the stewardship of the Gowanus Canal Conservancy, the archive is in need of a permanent home in Gowanus.